As a Counsellor, you will provide quality child, adolescent and adult counselling, relationship and family counselling, therapy and parenting support for a range of clients. To be successful in this role you will need to maintain and uphold the culture and values of Innate Therapies.
To summarise, it is not the intent of this position description to limit the scope or responsibilities of the role, but to highlight the most important aspects.
Practice Manager or Principal Practitioner
Conduct client assessment and intake client needs and interventions to children, adolescents, parents, carers, and families.
Satisfy the requirements of and remain compliant with the NDIS requirements.
Report, document and manage identified client risks and/or incidents in accordance with Innate Therapies Risk Management Procedure
Communicate with referrers and provide timely feedback and written reports in accordance with the requirements of each referral and any individual requests of the referrer
- Manage client caseloads to meet clients’ needs and ensure positive engagement with clients. This includes:
- telephone and email contact with clients and other stakeholders as needed.
- To participate in practice support meetings once every four weeks with the Principal Practitioner
- Ensure your client diary is as full as possible and that all clients have access to regular appointments. This includes:
- explaining relevant Innate Therapies policies and procedures to clients
- the ongoing booking of appointments and managing cancellations
- Ensure the positive public standing and good reputation of Innate Therapies
- Provide the tools and equipment required to perform these duties and responsibilities
- Engage in informal peer to peer mentoring and sharing of information
- Foster a supportive and cooperative work environment that recognises and rewards achievement
- Work as part of a team to proactively ensure all processes and systems are used in accordance with operational, cultural and compliance needs
- Client assessments and interventions are completed thoroughly and potential problems and risks are identified
NDIS compliance is always maintained
Intervention plans and support initiatives are developed for clients including specific activities and goals to be accomplished
Client diary and caseloads are full and adequately suited to ensure clients’ engagement and needs are met
Where necessary, clients’ families and carers etc. are educated regarding plans, goals and support required
Communication with referrers, timely feedback and written reports are accurate, timely and correct in accordance with the requirements of each referral
Clients’ activities and progress is continually assessed and recorded for client evaluations and to monitor progress
Appropriate systems and processes in place to consistently meet operational, cultural and compliance requirements
Innate Therapies maintains a positive standing and good reputation in the public
- Proactively engages in peer to peer mentoring and sharing of information
- Maintain up to date client records and notes using the Innate Therapies’ client management system in accordance with Innate Therapies policies and procedures, and maintain principles of client confidentiality at all times
- Proactively manage your client diary using the Innate Therapies client management system
- Process payments from clients, schedule further appointments with clients, answer the telephone and tend to reception when needed
- Maintain the physical workspace of Innate Therapies by leaving therapy rooms and the office space in a tidy state, returning therapy items to their designated places and replenishing stock in the clinical rooms as required.
- Participates in the development and implementation of policies and procedures
- Client information, history, reports, and programs are correctly recorded in a timely manner
- Consistently responds to referrals, schedules client appointments, and maintains diary
- Workplace is always maintained in a clean and tidy state, all therapy items are returned or replenished consistently
- Greet every person who walks through the door (all clients, families, carers, suppliers, stakeholders, fellow employees etc.) in a polite, professional, and friendly manner
- Ensure a positive experience for each client in line with the Innate Therapies’ culture and vision
- Promote and develop Innate Therapies’ services and reputation through the provision of exceptional client service
- Escalate/rectify any complaints immediately as per Innate Therapies’ processes and procedures
- Acknowledge and attend to any feedback, concerns, or queries in such a way that encourages return business
Provides superior client service and demonstrates a courteous and friendly manner
The positive reputation of Innate Therapies is expanding
Complaints and queries are dealt with effectively in a timely manner
Demonstrates a commitment to professional development through participation in relevant professional development activities
Identify personal training and development needs and sources of professional development opportunities
Contributes to the continuing professional development of colleagues by providing feedback on professional development attended via formal and informal peer meetings
Develops and evaluates resources as a result of professional development activities including relevant research findings
Regularly seeks further professional training and development
Uses professional development activities to increase the success of both clients and Innate Therapies
- Always maintain and encourage the highest safety standards
- Comply with all WH&S standards, policies, and procedures
- Report all accidents and/or incidents to management immediately
- Conduct periodic checks to remove hazards from work areas
- Rectify identified hazards where possible and report to management ASAP
Consistently adheres to WHS policies and procedures
Hazards are actively managed and reported
Zero preventable WH&S incidents
- Always represent Innate Therapies in a positive and professional manner
- Maintain a friendly, approachable, polite and positive attitude towards clients and fellow employees
- Maintain ethical standards as required and be fully responsible and accountable for all work conducted when providing services to Innate Therapies.
- Engage in marketing activities and the promotion of Innate Therapies as agreed with the Principal Practitioner. This may include Practice/clinic visits, writing thank you letters to referrers and contributing to the Innate Therapies Social Media profile.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Maintain a neat and professional appearance as a representative of Innate Therapies
- Respect all equipment and property and use with care to avoid unnecessary damage
- Attend and positively participate in meetings and training, as required
- Keep all work areas tidy and clean
- All other duties as assigned
- Undertake the responsibilities of the position adhering to:
o Equal opportunity and anti-discrimination legislation and requirements
o Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) legislation and requirements
o Legal requirements
o Innate Therapies’ policies and procedures
Skills and Personal Attributes
Excellent level of professionalism and client service
Excellent ability to communicate confidently at various levels and with a range of audiences, abilities, personalities, backgrounds, and cultures
Excellent interpersonal communication including coaching, verbal, and written communication skills
Excellent ability to listen and give complete attention to the person speaking including asking appropriate and constructive questions
Excellent ability to maintain confidentiality and sensitivity within a busy environment
Excellent ability to develop, negotiate and maintain partnerships
Excellent ability to handle stressful and adverse situations
- Excellent critical thinking skills using logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions and differing approaches to problem solving
- Ability to complete high quality and rigorous discipline specific assessments and reports.
- Clinical and therapeutic understanding of the impacts of trauma on child and family functioning and knowledge of current trauma informed, evidence-based, and effective treatment trends.
- High Leve of cultural awareness and experience working with families from different cultural backgrounds, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander people.
- Excellent skills in managing time, setting priorities, planning, and organising work to achieve specific tasks and set objectives efficiently and effectively within resources available and within set timetable
- Excellent ability to make proactive, efficient, effective, and timely decisions
- Excellent initiative and accepts responsibility
- Excellent attention to detail, precision, and accuracy
- Excellent ability to work with others toward shared goals of the business
- Excellent ability to follow established procedures, practices, and instructions
- Excellent work ethic by placing a high value and importance on performing work diligently, as well as respecting others and functioning with integrity
- Flexible and supportive approach to change in the workplace, is open and embraces change
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in the Human Services field
- Diploma of Counselling (CH51015), or equivalent
- 2+ years previous experience in a similar position
- Previous experience or qualifications in Expressive Therapies
- Proficiency with computers especially Microsoft Office Applications and client management software
- Be physically fit with unrestricted ability to lift, bend, stretch and twist
- Queensland Current C Class Driver’s Licence
- Queensland Working with Children Check (Blue Card)
- NDIS Disability Worker Screening Check (Yellow Card)
- A National Police/Criminal History Check
- Proof of Double COVID Vaccination
- Previous experience or qualifications in Expressive Therapies
- First Aid Certificate (HLTAID003)
- CPR Certificate (HLTAID001)
- Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) or equivalent
- Demonstratable knowledge and understanding of the Disability Services Act, National Disability Insurance Scheme Act, National Disability Services Operational Guidelines and the NDIS Operational Guidelines
Mandatory Vaccination Policy
Please be advised that our organisation has a Mandatory Vaccination Policy currently in place to protect the welfare and wellbeing of our staff and clients.
All perspective employees should ensure that they are able to meet the requirements of this policy by ensuring that they are fully vaccinated prior to application.
The above information on this position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.