How Couples Counselling Can Actually Strengthen a Relationship
Couples therapy is designed to provide a safe and non-judgmental space for couples to discuss their issues and work towards resolution. Our therapists in Cairns are trained to identify patterns of behaviour, communication styles and underlying issues that may be contributing to relationship stress.
By helping couples to communicate more effectively and understand each other’s needs and desires, couples or marriage counseling can improve intimacy, trust and overall relationship satisfaction.
A couples therapist can also help couples to resolve conflict through learned skills and get the relationship help they are looking for. This is an essential aspect of any relationship, as disagreements are a natural part of any partnership. However, without the necessary skills to manage conflict, disagreements can escalate into more significant issues, leading to resentment, mental health issues and frustration.
Understanding That Seeking Help is a Sign of Strength, Not Weakness
One of the most significant barriers to couples counselling is the belief that seeking help is a sign of weakness. However, seeking help is not a sign of weakness, but rather a sign of strength. It takes courage to acknowledge that a relationship may need help and to take the necessary steps to seek that help.
By seeking couples counseling services, couples are demonstrating their commitment to their relationship and their willingness to work towards a better future together. Couples therapy and marriage counselling can be a valuable investment in the relationship, providing tools and strategies that couples can use to maintain a healthy and fulfilling partnership.
What exactly is couples counseling/therapy?
You and your partner will meet with a specialist to talk about and explore the issues you’re both dealing with during couples counseling. The therapist will assist you in opening up, stressing the qualities in your relationship as well as what may be causing you grief.
Principles that are often spoken about within couples counselling.
1. Create Love Maps: This is where we keep all of the information we’ve learned about our relationships. The items they enjoy and detest are two examples of information received and retained
2. Nurture Your Fondness & Admiration: This demonstrates that you care about the other person by focusing on and recognising the positives. The foundation for this is friendship
3. Turn Towards Instead of Away: This is done by doing activities together and showing the other person that they are valued. It is taking the time to listen rather than saying you don’t have time.
4. Allow Your Partner to Influence You: This involves sharing decision-making and being willing to make decisions as well as appreciate your partner’s decisions.
5. Solve Your Solvable Problems: This involves recognising which problems can be handled and resolving them using conflict resolution methods such as Softened Startup, Repair and De-escalation, Physiological Self-Soothing, Accepting What You Cannot Change, Accepting Influence, and Compromise.
6. Overcome Gridlock: This entails determining what is causing a stumbling block in your life and taking actions to overcome it. It does not always imply solving difficulties, but rather taking steps to overcome them.
If you are considering couples counselling in Cairns, know that you are not alone, and Innate Therapy in Cairns is here to help you on your journey to a healthier and happier relationship.