What is self-care/self-love?
Self-care/self-love is crucial for you to be a happy, balanced individual. Without it you will find yourself living a life that doesn’t quite fit – a bit like trying to fit into someone else’s jeans. It just won’t work!
When it comes to self-care or self-love it is important to know that it doesn’t mean life is all about you, it means you take the time to do what you need to be happy, healthy and fulfilled. People are often scared to admit they need to put themselves first because of an old ingrained thought process that says if you ask for what you need then you are self-centred or self absorbed. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Of course, there are those people who make everything about them and put themselves first in every situation and often to everyone else’s detriment. That is not self-love or self-care that is living in a self-centred, egotistical world with little regard for anyone outside of self.
Self-care is about ensuring you fill your cup before you fill anyone else’s. It doesn’t mean you don’t support or help others, it means that if you continuously do things for others yet don’t take time to do the things you need for your own health and well-being, you will be the one that suffers in the end.
Some of the ways to ensure you are giving yourself what you need:
- Eat well – nourish your body and your soul through healthy eating
- Schedule time – Make time each day or week to do the things you love – see a movie, go for a walk, go to the gym, visit the beach, read a book, cook a gourmet meal – whatever it is that makes you smile and feel good.
- Set boundaries – ensure you put you first before responding to other’s needs. If you are too tired to help a friend then be sure to say so. It isn’t selfish to look after you before looking after others it is crucial.
- Look around you – Surround yourself with people who lift you up. Life’s too short to spend your time around those that don’t lift you up or support you.
- Practice Gratitude. Create a gratitude routine that helps you to be thankful for even the little things in life for it’s the little things that fill our souls with happiness.
Whatever you choose to do, make sure it is for you and you alone. Don’t try to fit into someone else’s idea of what you should be.